The History of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Bridgeport, Nebraska

St. Paul’s Lutheran Church has served Bridgeport, Nebraska, and the surrounding communities of the Nebraska Panhandle since 1943. From its earliest days, the congregation has gathered around the preaching of God’s Word, the administration of the Sacraments, and the confession of Jesus Christ as Savior. Its history is one of steady growth, faithful pastoral care, and the generous service of Christian families who desired a permanent Lutheran congregation in Bridgeport.

The Beginning of Lutheran Ministry in Bridgeport, NE

The congregation’s story began in 1943, when the Rev. George Weber, then serving as pastor in Scottsbluff, began conducting worship services in the homes of Walter Schmidt and William Batterman. These small gatherings marked the beginning of organized Lutheran ministry in the Bridgeport area. As attendance increased, the homes could no longer accommodate everyone who wished to attend. Services were then moved to the District C14 school, providing additional room for worship and Christian instruction.

In 1945, the growing congregation began holding Sunday afternoon services in Bridgeport at the Episcopal Church. During that same period, the congregation formally organized and called its first pastor, the Rev. Alfred Hinz. He served St. Paul’s until March 1946. During the nearly two-year interim that followed, Rev. Weber again cared for the congregation while members made definite plans to construct a Lutheran church building of their own.

The First Church Building and Early Pastors

Those plans soon became reality. The congregation’s first house of worship was dedicated on November 23, 1947. A few months before the dedication, St. Paul’s installed its second pastor, the Rev. Oscar Sylvester. During his ministry, many additional families were welcomed into the congregation, strengthening St. Paul’s presence in Bridgeport and throughout the surrounding agricultural communities. Rev. Sylvester served until 1950.

That same year, the Rev. Robert Harms accepted the call to serve as pastor. He remained with the congregation until 1955. The written history of St. Paul’s remembers this period with gratitude, noting that the Lord richly blessed the ministry of His Word. In 1956, the Rev. Donald Wilke was called to serve the congregation and remained until 1957. Another pastor was installed in 1959, and shortly after his arrival it became clear that the church’s facilities would need to be expanded to support the congregation’s continued growth.

Expansion of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church

On April 22, 1960, the Voters’ Assembly appointed a committee to study the possibility of expanding the church. After months of consultation and planning, the congregation engaged architect Robert Murphy of North Platte on February 7, 1961, to prepare preliminary plans for a new addition.

Construction bids were awarded on July 18, 1961. O. L. Nelson of Bayard served as general contractor, Mac’s Plumbing and Heating of Scottsbluff completed the plumbing and heating work, and Allen Radio and Electric of Bridgeport handled the electrical work.  Groundbreaking for the new addition took place on August 13, 1961. The structure measured 35 by 61 feet and was constructed of lightweight block surrounded by a pink blend of brick from the Yankee Hill Brick Company of Lincoln. The interior featured Douglas fir laminated arches, a carpeted chancel and aisles, an asphalt tile floor, a pastor’s vestry, bathroom facilities, and a large clear-span basement.

merrill-county-churches

A Visible Christian Witness in Bridgeport

The church’s exterior was designed to provide a clear Christian witness within the Bridgeport community. A 14-foot illuminated cross was installed on the west front of the building, while a copper-covered spire and cross extended approximately 40 feet above the ground. Floodlights illuminated the spire and cross at night, making St. Paul’s Lutheran Church visible to those passing through Bridgeport.

Inside, antique copper light fixtures were suspended from the ceiling, with each fixture incorporating three crosses. Eight large fixtures were installed in the nave, with additional fixtures placed in the narthex, overflow area, and entrance vestibule. The basement kitchen was remodeled and enlarged, while the former church building was converted into six classrooms and a pastor’s study. The original chancel area became the narthex and overflow space. The completed church offered seating for approximately 220 people.

Gifts from the Congregation

The altar, pulpit, communion rail, hymn boards, and six new pews were purchased and installed through the generosity of individuals and organizations within the congregation. These gifts reflected the shared commitment of the people of St. Paul’s to provide a fitting place for Lutheran worship, Christian education, fellowship, and congregational life.

Serving Bridgeport and the Nebraska Panhandle Today

In 2026, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) continues to serve Bridgeport, Bayard, Scottsbluff, Morrill County, and communities throughout the western Nebraska Panhandle. The church welcomes individuals and families from Bridgeport and nearby areas who are seeking faithful biblical preaching, historic Lutheran worship, Christian education, and a congregation centered on Jesus Christ.

The buildings and furnishings have changed over the years, but the heart of the congregation’s ministry remains the same. St. Paul’s continues to gather around Christ’s Word and Sacraments, proclaiming the forgiveness of sins, teaching the Christian faith, and sharing the Gospel with its neighbors. The congregation gives thanks for those who came before and looks forward with confidence to the opportunities God will provide in the years ahead.